I know berries are not in season any more but if you have bags and bags of frozen blueberries in your freezer like I do then this recipe is perfect for you. I like fruit bars because you feel like your kinda sorta eating something healthy (but you secretly know that your not). These bars had a good soft crust, a juicy but firm center and and soft crumbly topping. The original recipe, adapted from my 'Joy of Cooking: All About Cookies' cookbook, uses just jam for the filling but I thought it would taste great with some berries mixed in as well. Feel free to use any berry you like but I found that frozen blueberries worked really well.
Blueberry Streusel Bars
2 Cups flour
1/4 Cup white granualted sugar
1/4 tsp salt
12 Tbsp cold butter, cut into small pieces
3 Tbsp milk
1 tsp almond extract
1 Cup blueberry jam
2 1/2 Cups frozen blueberries (or more if desired)
1 3/4 Cups flour
2/3 Cups sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
8 Tbsp cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 Cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 Large egg
2 Tbsp milk
1) Preheat oven to 375F and grease a 13*9in baking pan (I used an 8in square pan and cut the recipe in half but I posted the full recipe so you could make more!)
2) Sift together flour, sugar, and salt then add cold butter and cut into flour mixture using two knives or a pastry blender until the mixture forms coarse crumbs
3) Stir in milk and almond extract and knead until mixture begins to hold together but is not wet (you can add more or less milk depending on the texture of your dough)
4) Press mixture into prepared pan and place in the fridge for 15min, then bake the chilled dough for 12-15min until the center is barely firm
5) While baking make the struesel: mix together flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
6) Cut butter into flour mixture using two knives of a pasty blender until the mixture forms coarse crumbs.
7) Stir in oats using a fork, then lightly mix in the egg and milk until mixture is just moist enough to clump together
8) When crust comes out of the oven spread jam over hot baked crust then sprinkle blueberries evenly all over, then continue with sprinkling the streusel evenly over the blueberry layer
9) Bake bars for 25-35min until blueberry mixture is bubbling and the struesel is evenly browned
10) Let bars cool in pan completely then cut and enjoy!